Wednesday, June 30, 2010

What a silly moppet!

Well, today marks my four week stay in London. I am amazed at how much has happened and changed since then. I've gone from being lost constantly, being completely out of my element, feeling estranged, alone, and heartsick to... home. Which got me thinking, what is home? I think it's wherever God calls us. Thanks to Him, I found a family of believers who spend every day loving on people and taking the time to genuinely get to know them and bless them. I found purpose and thriving instead of just surviving. So here, thousands of miles from what I know to be home, I feel like I'm right where I am supposed to be. It hasn't been without pain and brokenness, but I thank God for everything He has broken within me that isn't good. And that's been a lot of stuff lately.

Culturally, I've been thinking about things I miss about home, and things I'll miss about London when I get back to the states. Here are a few

Things I miss about the states:
1. being able to eat in a food establishment without getting charged extra for sitting there to eat.
2. Target/Walmart. Which is bad, but it's true.
3. Not having to convert pounds to dollars in my head every time I buy something.
4. Bean and Cheese burritos
5. My friends and family
6. Watching movies
7. Being able to text people when I see something ridiculous that reminds me of them.
8. People driving on the right side of the road.
9. Being able to swipe my own credit card, and not having my signature analyzed every time I use it.
10. Understandable american accents.

Things I will miss about London:
1. Pret A Manger. and all other healthy fast food establishments.
2. Public transit/being able to walk almost anywhere.
3. Regents park
4. My missionary family and all the things God is doing here.
5. Fitting in with all the crazy looking people that live in Camden.
6. Ordering white Americano's.
7. Sainsburys tiramisu cups.
8. Hearing Florence and the Machine played everywhere I go.
9. Topshop, Argo's, John Lewis, and Shepherds Bush.
10. Being in a city so old and diverse that there is always something new to do.

1 comment:

  1. Well I really wish we had Florence and the Machine playing everywhere.

    ReplyDelete