Friday, January 28, 2011

Home is a long way from here


I look at a day off in a completely different light now. Today I woke up late, made coffee, read a few chapters in Matthew, then embarked on a creative endeavor. This starts with popping in the Heima DVD from Sigur Ros, which will literally change your life once you watch it. Or at least make you want to go to Iceland in a bad way. Then it continues with pulling out the pile of clothes Buffalo didn't want to buy from me, and chopping them up into pieces.

I spent the first part of my afternoon making a skirt and a dress out of two shirts that I have, because I've been encouraged to make some new things recently. I've been having such a hard time making the time and space to actually do it the past few weeks, but I've also realized I don't feel complete unless I'm doing something creative. It's a part of who I am, and who God has made me to be. There's something empty about not using the gifts God gave me.

In other news, San Diego Airport is going to start having a non-stop flight to London soon. Why does this matter? Because my apartment, as well as hundreds of other houses and buildings are in the flight path of the airport. We already deal with constant interruption of the planes during the day, and the new jets are supposed to be much louder. Therefore, as a stipulation to having international flights from San Diego, the airport has to provide soundproof doors and windows to everyone in the flight path.

What? Do they know how man doors and windows that is? This part of the city looks like a nicer version of a Tijuana slum hill. It's a hodge-podge of random apartment buildings, alleyways, and houses from every era, all extremely close together.

I only mention this because they started installing new windows in a few of the apartments in my complex. I watched them from my window this morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment