Saturday, April 24, 2010

make me a beast half as brave, i'd be the same

It's a super lazy Saturday morning, and I've been meaning to write a lot more often because I always think of random things to write about. I'm reading The House of the Spirits by Isabelle Allende again, one of my favorite books of all times. In it, a character named Clara lives her life halfway between the present and another realm, keeping track of everything she sees and thinks in her journals that bear witness to life. I love this because I identify with writing down the important and the strange to aid my memory that often fails me. Lives are amazing stories to be read. And if my days don't reflect anything worth writing down, I'm not living life to the potential I want.

Life is a strange mix of certain and uncertain right now. I have a plane ticket to London that keeps me there for 10 weeks, but I'm still applying for my visa so I can work the last five I'm there. I thought we had a place to live figured out for sure for next semester, but now that is up in the air again. I thought I had the internship in the fall for sure, but now I'm having a tricky time getting scheduled for an interview. I'm not really worried, it more annoyance at not having some pretty important things figured out, and running out of time to do it in.

My favorite song right now is Jezebel by Iron and Wine. Partly because I have a morbid interest in gory Bible stories, and partly because it's just an amazing song. The past few weeks I've discovered that I have somehow become privy to a piece of the local music scene here in San Diego. I've been to several shows in the past week for some phenomenal musicians, and it's a blessing to know them as people. Music makes the world go round, and I even did my block print for art class on the subject. Which may lead to fabric printing.... we will see.

I went out and bought a recipe box and cards the other day, and some other random kitchen things for our non-existent apartment. I love making up recipes, so I figured it was time to write them down. I also have a bunch of random paper scraps and notebook scribbles with recipes I've found throughout the past few years that need transfered to official and decipherable cards.

This morning I read part of 2 Corinthians 12, and I love the part about Paul having a thorn in his flesh. God tells him "My grace is sufficient enough for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." Paul doesn't complain about this, he just takes it as it comes "taking pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ's sake." Why? "Because when I am weak, then I am strong." I pray for an attitude like that. I'm convicted so often about the sour attitude I get about things that don't even matter. I want to keep my head in the clouds and focused on Christ when life deals me things I don't like.

That's.. all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment