Tuesday, February 9, 2010

I'm a tree, you're a tree.

This school year has brought an interesting new dimension into my life; which takes the form of the Independent Film. I have seen three documentaries this past few months, and all seem to coincide with what I am currently sifting through in my everyday life.

First it was the Shane Claiborne documentary called Ordinary Radicals. That part of my life was characterized by an intense surge of searching for meaning in what I do as a Christian. I found the film spoke a lot on simple living and on fellowship with other Christians. This also coincided with the Naz youth group focusing on how we are supposed to hold up in a materialistic society. My roommate and I gave up buying new clothes, and donated something every time we purchased something from a thrift store.

http://www.theordinaryradicals.com/blog/

The second movie was called No Impact Man, which focused on one family living a gradually sustainable lifestyle in one year. Though extreme, it had a large amount of great points about our current consumption as a nation. We took the youth kids to this movie, and it helped reinforce our goal of moving towards green and sustainable living. My Ecology and Conservation class lined up with this almost exactly, and learning the science behind the effects we’re having on nature made me realize that Stewardship is extremely important.

http://www.noimpactdoc.com/index_m.php

The third was one I saw tonight, called America the Beautiful. It is an amazing film about the effect of the media on American body image. From high fashion to cosmetic surgery, makeup to anorexia, this movie voiced what I think is the opinion of the majority of the US. We are bombarded with images of what we should look like, and so many problems stem from being disgusted with our bodies. Now for me, it struck me especially concerning the fashion industry. I couldn’t decide whether to cry because the obstacles are so big in the world I’m going to be thrown into, or to just walk away because it’s too much to deal with. I’ve decided the best I can do is make positive change in whatever way I can.

http://americathebeautifuldoc.com/

All three are worth watching. It just occurred to me how many movies that have struck up deep issues and conversations I have seen recently.

No comments:

Post a Comment