Thursday, August 5, 2010

Day 13

Today I got ready to go in by 11, and I got a text from Julia telling me there was a problem with the shop, so to not go in yet. Instead, I went the British Museum, and then lost myself in Covent Garden. I also got a bagel with peanut butter and coffee at the other Monmouth store. Then I walked all the way to work, thus getting my several miles of workout in for the day. As soon as I got to the store, Julia sent me back out to Morplans, to get bags and a sale sign for the store. I was once again glad that I’d been through design classes so I could find the store easily. After I bought the supplies, I headed down to a shop on Carnaby Street called Beyond the Sea to pick up some of Julia’s dresses they didn’t sell. There were only a few, and I checked and signed for them. Carnaby Street is an awesome place, it was where Mod fashion started in the 60’s. Think.. Twiggy style. When I got back to the shop, I started cutting out lots of patterns that just came back from the print shop. It was lots of tedious work, but I got to use a special paper punch to make notches. I also had another really good conversation with Zana who was working with me. We talked about what skills are needed in the industry, how training sometimes doesn’t matter, and we dreamed up big plans. She was so encouraging when I told her my business ideas, and it made me think that they could come true. I left work so happy and encouraged today, because I want to dream big and start my own business within the next few years. Tomorrow I’m opening the shop, and finishing the patterns I was cutting out today. I’m getting pretty darn good at all the exact little things in pattern tracing and cutting out fabric. I’m really thankful this job as taught me that, because I tend to be sloppy on my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment