Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Days 14 and 15

Friday I forgot to write my journal, so I'm trying to think it all up now. It's so hard to remember what happened after a crazy long weekend of adventures.

Day 14
I was happy this day was friday. I'd had a long week with lots of long days, so thankfully it was the end of the week. I came in at 10:30, and watched the shop while Julia went out for a few hours. I did some work scanning things into the computer, and worked on cutting patterns out for the first few hours. I hadn't finished them the day before, and it was quite a time consuming task. Thankfully I finally mastered using the little paper punch thing. When she came in, she had me press all of the clothes from a boutique on Carnaby street to display in the store, which didn't take long at all. Then finally, it was interview time. I had spent a few weeks compiling a long list of questions to ask Julia about every part of her business, and about being a designer working in sustainable and fair trade goods. She spent over a half hour talking with me about everything, and I recorded it all on video to dictate later. Now I have page after page of interview written down, and it's priceless. I learned so much and was so empowered to start doing it for myself, that I got my entire paper written off of the interview. I might talk more about it later when I have the time

Day 15 (I think the weekend will have to be a separate thing altogether)
Today was Tuesday, and I got to do lots of fun things. The first was sending out an email invitation to a vintage festival Julia will be showing at to all the people on her press list. She has a very extensive network of people that she works with, and it took me almost an hour to send the emails out to them all. I scanned some stuff into the computer, and sat back to realize how much I loved what I'm doing in life. I get to sit in a studio with a cup of coffee and listen to really good music all day doing design related work. I am so blessed to be doing what I love.

I did some photoshop work next, which included cropping and resizing the sample pictures I had to model for. I didn't like those pictures at all, and it proves pink is NOT my color. But it was still fun to do photoshop all the same, and seeing the line come together is great. After I finished it all, I ran to the store to get more instant coffee for Julia, the fair trade kind. I think almost all the coffee here is Free Trade and Rainforest Alliance, which is super cool. I got some gingersnaps for us to eat too, because work is just more fun with cookies around.

When I got back, Julia had me use the overlock for the first time, and I was super excited to get to sew. My job was to sew together strips of the fabric I cut out a few days back, and to make tubes out of them. They were about ten feet long, so turning them inside out was a bit of a chore, but because the fabric had some stretch, it was relatively easy. My fingers hurt now though. Julia said that she's using them to make bracelets and necklaces of some sort, so it should be fun when it's all finished. When I was done, she let me leave for the day, but tomorrow should be a lot longer.

Tonight I presented my powerpoint about opening an eco-friendly store in OB, and I got completely soaked walking back from work and then to school in the rain. My umbrella was sadly forgotten at the house after Bible study on Saturday night, so even my rain coat didn't save me. But now I'm going to start the packing madness, and see what I have to throw out before I leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment