Monday, March 29, 2010

Hearts don't break even

Stressed insightfulness filled today.

I swam in the mass of humanity that was Ocean Beach today. So many people with so little sun protection. Tanning is such a strange phenomenon. But how neat is it that we can turn colors? As kids, we loved magic markers and anything that would instantly change colors. Maybe this grown up penchant for gradually browning skin stems from that.

At the beach, I picked up a book my friend Dana had in her bag called Lady in Waiting. It's about being a single woman and waiting for God's best (man that is.) After flipping a few pages, I fell on one called A Lady of Conviction. It was about making choices to stand strong in your convictions about the characteristics a man should have. Then followed a long list of the traits of a godly man, which seems difficult to find. However in hindsight, after dating several boys who did not have many of these traits, I have been left wishing with all my heart I'd been a lady of conviction. I hope I am now, or am at least growing into one. It's hard not to fall into the trap of thinking I don't deserve a godly man because of my past. This "not good enough" tendency can't be true, because I know God wants me to to marry someone living for Him, and also that He will work everything that has happened out for good somehow.

I'm not sure why it all seems so hard, shouldn't we be excited waiting for that person God wants us to be with? I know so many girls filled with impatience and malcontent because they fear they won't find that person. But what I've learned is I'd rather be single forever than to be with someone less than God's best for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment