Friday, July 23, 2010

Day 6

I was tired when I woke up today, come to find out it's probably because I haven't been taking my vitamins. But nevertheless, I went to work, ready for another day. I got there around 10:30 and watched while Julia showed me all the patterns that needed cutting out for the day. There was a dress and lining, this crazy black mesh for another dress, and a blue ruffle shirt. So I turned on the radio and went to work while she went to a meeting. It took me all morning, and I didn't finish, but all of the patterns went well.

The best part of the day was talking to Xana, the other woman that shares the studio. She gave me some pointers on how to cut the mesh better (slippery fabrics are a nightmare to work with,) and it helped a bunch. We talked about loving design and how to take instruction and learn from those who know more than we do. Her favorite advice she's ever gotten was "Fashion design is only half about talent. The other half is all hard work." And it's so true. Anyone who thinks the life of a designer is glamourous is highly mistaken. Yes it's fun if it's your passion, but it doesn't come easily. I found out that Stephanos, the patternmaker that was in on Tuesday, has worked with many amazing designers including Vivian Westwood, and is a genius in his profession. Xana told me to ask him lots of questions, but to be prepared to learn a lot because he's very picky. I'm going to bring in my portfolio and sketchbook so she and Julia can critique it, because I'm desperate for feedback on what I'm doing right or wrong.

When I told Xana I will be working for Zandra Rhodes in the fall, she was very excited for me. Apparently Zandra has a studio by the Fashion and Textiles museum, so I'm going to go by and see if I can find her. She helps out a lot of young designers, and I'm really happy to hear that.

At the end of the day, I went to the factory in Hackney yet again. This time it was a piece of cake, and I was in and out in no time. The way home was a different stories because of tube delays, I guess the police had to search a train in Leichster Square. Who knows why. But anyways, I'm glad it's the weekend now, time to have some fun at Itunes fest tonight :)

No comments:

Post a Comment