Thursday, July 29, 2010

Day 9

Today was a slow day at work. Well, sort of. I started it by cutting out some bias bindings and dress pieces from the fabric I picked up yesterday in Shepherds Bush. It was fun playing with chalk, and learning a trick to find the bias in a really easy way. (Bias is the exact diagonal on a fabric, where it's the stretchiest and curves the best.)

After that I took my lunch break and finally found the perfect black trousers at Selfridges. I wouldn't have gone in except that they were playing Stacie Orrico's song "There's gotta be more," which I found ironic. But I love the song, so I did go in, and I'm happy I did. The only problem is that everything seems so much cheaper than it really is! The conversion rate really is terrible.

Back at work, I wrote down some bands that I liked playing on the radio, and read my book for a while. Then I put some invoices and letters into envelopes, addressed, and stamped them. It was an interesting look into the world of a fashion designer, because they were letters about not receiving payments, and about contacting solicitors if payment isn't made. It's quite sad, because either the products didn't sell well, or the businesses are having money problems. I doubt they just forgot, but maybe they did.

I sat in the shop for a few hours and read, when a customer came in and actually bought something. People never come in the store, so I wasn't quite sure what to do. Here in England, sales people either hover too much, or not at all. So I wasn't sure which one to do, and I tried for a happy medium. I'm way too awkward though, because I don't know the products as well as I should. But now I know exactly what questions I need to be asking so I do a better job. One woman bought a jacket, and put a clutch on hold for tomorrow, and another one came in to look at dresses for her daughter. She talked a lot, and that was nice for a change. A lot of people in the area don't talk much. All in all, I found myself praying nobody else would come in, which is horrible, because I should want everyone to come in. Normally I would, but not when I'm alone and don't know the answers to the questions I'm asked.

At the end of the day, Julia and her two friends came back and had me model a dress for them again. I was half naked and it was rather awkward, but that's okay, it's part of the business. It makes me realize how different every person's body is. For example, the dress I was wearing is considered a perfect European size 10. On me, that's a little too tight in the butt, and too loose in the chest, and also too short in the torso. But I suppose most of us are okay with a pretty decent fit in most of our clothing, as long as it's not too tailored. Some garments don't have to be perfect, and they still work. It all comes down to dressing for your body type.

Then I mailed the letters and went to class, which was interesting. I talked to the professor about my paper, and when asked why I want to do eco and fair trade stuff, I told him a lot of it has to do with my faith as a Christian. He replied that Christians are the worst, tree cutting and baby chopping damned people. I didn't really know how to reply to that. It's really sad how Christians are viewed in England sometimes, and I think I was too shocked to make a coherent reply. Then he kept talking about my paper. But that sure did throw me off.

After the meeting I walked home through the park, stopped on a little obscure trail and read by some squirrels and birds, and enjoyed the beautiful breeze. I really want to go to the deep south for some reason. And I really want to garden and spend some quality time outside. I miss New Mexico summers so much. Hopefully I can go back there soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment