Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Day 7

Today has been an intense day, but I've been so blessed throughout. It started with my bus never coming, so I had to take the tube, thus being half an hour late to work. Because my phone is still missing, I wasn't able to call Julia and tell her, so I felt really bad. Tomorrow I will get a new phone for sure. When I got to the store, Julia sent me straight out to find a dry cleaner that could finish her boyfriends pants by the end of the day. Thankfully I was able to sweet talk a persian man at the first one to get them done before 5pm. He then handed me a pair of fingernail clippers and asked if I wanted to use them, because of how long my nails are. I said "No... thank you."

Back at the shop, I ironed a batch of clothes that are being sent to a store in Brighton. It's fun to see Julia's stuff picked up by other stores in different places. Next, I cut out a shirt in a silky blue fabric that liked to slip and slide all over. I was shocked when Julia just cut the fabric in a jagged half, because I'd spent hours trying to figure out the layout for all the pieces. I got all the bodice pieces out of one half, then realized she had forgotten we needed 2 of one of the ruffles, so in the end there wasn't enough fabric. And there was another lesson in reading patterns really carefully.

On my lunch, I ran into almost every store in the closest 5 blocks of Oxford street looking for black, closed toe high heels. I didn't find any in the hour, and ended up back at work stressed out because I needed them by 5. After that, I cut out a dress from this crazy pink ruffle material that hopefully hangs right. I always wonder when I cut out stretch fabric how it will work. Being very careful and measuring 8 million times is something I've become very accustomed to on this job. When 3:30 rolled around, I started to wrap piles of advertising cards together with grosgrain ribbon, then she let me leave early for tea.

I put on my Black Market White House dress for the first time in the dressing room, then ran out the door to hunt for black shoes again. In Barret's shoes store, I came across a glorious pair of 5 inch black stilettos for a reasonable price, so I bought them and told the man to keep the box. He was so shocked I was just going to wear them right then and there, it was hilarious. People take their shoes so seriously here.

So I got on the tube and went to Green Park, and got to Fortum and Mason half an hour early. It's an amazing store, where the queen gets her groceries. I wandered around for a bit, then found Dr. Wilder (my academic advisor at Point Loma,) her daughter, and her granddaughter. We went upstairs, and waited to be seated for our tea. It was a cozy and beautiful place, complete with couches and pillows, with beautiful china place settings. We picked from the extremely expensive menu out of two afternoon teas or high tea. I chose the basic afternoon tea with strong Assam Tea. I had so much fun talking to them, and I found out that Dr. Wilder had met with a friend of hers, who just happens to be the ex-editor of Mademoiselle magazine. The woman gives scholarships on occasion, and somehow I am receiving one. It's such a blessing! Now I'm just required to have lunch with the two of them.. which is pretty much the coolest stipulation ever. I can't wait.

Our tea was wonderful. First they brought a plate of little appetizers. There were some cheddar sticks, meat pate pastries, and crackers with some sort of tuna on them. Then they brought out a pot of tea for each of us, and a three tiered plate of pastries. There were little sandwhiches and egg eclairs on the bottom level, scones on the second, and a variety of chocolate and cheesecake pastries on the top. There was also a three tiered plate of jam and clotted cream for the scones. This was the first dairy and meat I've had in a while, because my stipulation to being vegan was to not let it interfere with obligatory social events, such as this. I was so full by the end, and I still got to take home the leftovers in a beautiful box tied with ribbon.

I wish I could have recorded all the great things we talked about. Everything from life plans, my designs, and the young Loma marriage rate, to British culture. It's such a blessing to have people like them in my life, and I know that there will be many more similar occasions over the years. Praise God :)

No comments:

Post a Comment